Senior Partner - Pittsburgh Office
Gregg A. Guthrie is a seasoned litigator with over 27 years of civil trial experience defending claims against insured and self-insured individuals, business entities, governmental agencies and insurance carriers in state and federal court. In 1990, after serving as a law clerk to the Honorable Carol Los Mansmann of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, Mr. Guthrie entered private practice where he acquired extensive litigation experience in the areas of auto, um/uim, motorcycle accidents, trucking accidents, premises liability, product liability, general liability, governmental immunity, dram shop / liquor liability, industrial accidents, gas explosion accidents, wrongful death, catastrophic injury, traumatic brain injury, burn injuries, fire, insurance coverage, declaratory judgment actions, bad faith, defamation, claims against nursing homes and life insurance carriers, admiralty, commercial litigation, federal civil rights claims and collection matters.
Since 1990, Mr. Guthrie has successfully tried over 100 jury trials to verdict throughout the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Mr. Guthrie has argued cases before the Pennsylvania Superior Court and Supreme Court and has authored amicus curiae briefs on behalf of the Pennsylvania Defense Institute and The Insurance Federation of Pennsylvania advocating legal positions of importance to the insurance industry and the business community.
- Undergraduate: Westminster College – B.A. Political Science, 1987
Honors: Dean’s List, Pi Sigma Alpha – National Political Science Honor Society
- Law School: Duquesne University School of Law, Juris Doctor, 1990
Honors: Duquesne Law Review, Recent Decisions Editor, 1989-1990
- Pennsylvania 1990
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, 1990
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 1993
- Insurance Defense Litigation
- Tort and Casualty
- General Liability
- Auto / um/uim
- Insurance Coverage / Bad-Faith
- Premises Liability
- Products Liability
- Governmental Immunity
- Wrongful Death
- Catastrophic Injury
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Commercial Litigation
MEMBERSHIPS AND HONORS
- Duquesne Law Review, Recent Decisions Editor, 1989-1990
- Rated AV-Preeminent® by Martindale-Hubbell® - highest possible rating granted only to select lawyers who have been recognized by their peers as demonstrating the highest level of professional excellence, legal ability and ethical standards.
- Current and/or past member of the American Bar Association, Allegheny County Bar Association, Defense Research Institute, Pennsylvania Defense Institute, Pennsylvania Association for Justice and the Pennsylvania Evidence Code Committee
PUBLICATIONS / SEMINARS
- 1989 – Recent Decisions, Sheridan v. United States, 108 S. Ct. 2449, (1988), Duquesne Law Review, Vol. 27, No. 4, p. 829 (1989)
- 1990 – “Should Pennsylvania Recognize a Cause of Action for Loss of Parental Consortium?” Comment, Duquesne Law Review, Vol. 28, No. 4, p. 697 (1990)
- 1999 – “Viability the Determinative Factor for Maintaining a Cause of Action for the Wrongful Death of an Unborn Fetus,” Counterpoint, July 1999
- 2000 – “Admissibility of Alcohol Consumption and/or Intoxication Evidence in a Civil Action,” Counterpoint, January 2000
- Mr. Guthrie has presented seminars and CLE programs on insurance and litigation related topics including: An Overview of UM/UIM Claims; Validity of Zero / Defense Verdict on Admitted Negligence Case; and An Overview of Rule 238 Delay Damages.